Sunday, May 27, 2012

Gypsy Livin' New Directions

danananananananana dananana GLEEEE!


I have been re-inspired re: Avion re-design.

At first, my thinking was to go with a modern, clean look with a little bit of retro splashed in. It seemed like a good fit, what with the metallic exterior and limited space inside - a bit of a minimalist approach would probably be a good idea. The problem is, it's just not me. I've been researching, mulling, dreaming, looking and secret shopping but I am just not getting excited about it and it is actually beginning to stress me out a little, wondering if I can really pull it of and if I will even like it in the end.

These are some of my previous pins - searching for mod/minimalist. Good look, but I am not really loving it!

Airstream   airstream    airstream

And during my other research-searches I found this on the Airstream website


and was even less inspired. Looks nice, but for me it's a resounding womp-womp.

And so after a campfire chat last night with friends about the 'character' of the Avion (still looking for a name) and the appropriateness of haphazard strings of Christmas lights and the like I decided that modern is just not the way to go.


Sleek and modern = shiny, uniform and perfect, which this little Avion simply is not. It's like that scratch/dent appliance you bought. You feel really good about it because you got it for a great deal, and the dent(s) is really not that bad, but... it has a dent. And on something like this the dent just seems to add to the Avion connection. It would be difficult to restore the exterior to mint cond-ish (I did some forum searches and it sounds like you've got to find parts from other old trailers of the same model = difficult and expensive).  Also, it feels like if you did invest in the restore, he just wouldn't feel right anymore. It's almost like you couldn't name him because he would no longer be a he, but an it without a personality, energy, feeling or character, and pardon me but at present this Avion exudes all of those things to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment