Friday, March 02, 2012

Old Aunt Ruby

For our first installment of This Shit's Awesome I thought I'd tell you all the story of how I got Aunt Ruby, my 1979 Toyota Landcruiser. She is definitely my most enjoyed, expensive, and labour intensive find - to date.



Isn't she a beaut? Back in 2009 (I totally just made that up- I just feel like it was 2-3 years ago) I started looking for a new(old) vehicle. I was looking for something with a little more pizzaz than my (ugh) Ford Focus Station Waagon. What kind of 21(ish) year old buys a ford station wagon? This girl, but she sure didn't like it. Needless to say, I was totally uninspired by it. I didn't smile when I saw it in the morning, and felt like crap every time I put my hard earned cash into that gas tank.

The dream was to get something along the lines of the Land Rover Defender,
 
but after some quick research I discovered that there are very few for sale in Canada at any given time. Like, 0, maybe 1 in the east. That option was out. We (then boyfriend, now hubby & I) then started looking at landcruisers and ford broncos.
 
He had always wanted an older bronco, and I just wanted something to love. We were casually looking, and one day hubby is driving around the small community we were living in and SEES Ruby bombing around with a for sale sign in her back window! He followed her almost all the way home trying to get close enough to read the phone number. We were so amazed at this coincidence - it just felt like it was meant to be at this point. We called, and went to have a look. She was in beautiful shape, all things considered (age) with low miles and I fell in love. After an intense round of negotiations, we were able to purchase her for a smokin' deal and I went to the bank to apply for my first-ever loan (which turned into my first-ever line of credit).

Maybe next week I'll tell you how we (he) restored her and brought her to her fullest potential. Here's a sneak preview!

No comments:

Post a Comment