Sunday, July 29, 2012

Something's Missing...

Can you tell what it is??

the 'about' section that most every blogger known to the www has in their profile. Uhhh... the whole point is to practice writing, obvs I should have written an 'about' by now, right?

Well, it's been bothering me lately. I've been procrastinating because, well, I'm a procrastinator and also because I'm not really sure what to write. What makes a good 'about' and what makes a bad one? What kinds of things are you supposed to say about yourself, how much i can you add before it becomes tmi? Well I am sitting here in Starbucks doing some research on the topic and we are about to find out my friends.

Here are some of my fave's from around the web:

1.

Now this is a sort of new to me blog that I'm loving because it tells me that you don't need photos and visual effects to practice your writing through blogging, but you can still have an interesting blog. Basically that translates to I'm too lazy to add a photo montage (or even learn how to create a proper photo montage) to every post - so sometime's I don't post!!

... until now. (I'm sure you've noticed my visually uninspiring additions of late... I'm loving it!)



 

 

 

About Me


The first thing you should know about me is that I have a British accent. This will help you establish a voice in your head when you're reading, which is important, don't you think?
My name is Holly Burns. I'm 31 and I live in San Francisco, California, with my new-ish husband Sean, and two enormous cats. I work in the travel industry and I'm often on the road. This means that I am on a first name basis with most of the TSA workers at San Francisco International Airport and could probably tell you how their kids' Little League teams are doing at any given moment. I own many bottles of shampoo that are three ounces or less.

This is in fact a small exerpt from her about page... Basically she gives a life history, and provides links to a more detailed account of her life history. Borderline tmi but I like her opener a lot (in fact I like the whole thing, but well you can follow the link if you really want to read it)

2.

I had an 'about' from Joanna's A Cup Of Jo but then I decided not to put it in because I actually didn't really like it. I also had a story about how my Baba and I are both preoccupied with being funny, and then I deleted it. Shit.

3.

I like this one for the swearing, and the Pintrest... nuff said.

Pintester

 
Hi! I’m the Pintester. I test pins from Pinterest. Mostly, I fuck them up.
I am in no way associated with Pinterest, except that I spend far too much time on it planning weddings I will never have and designing rooms I know I will never do. (I can’t even work up the energy to paint a wall, honestly.)
If you like the site, please pin it, tweet it, like it, and tell all your friends about it.
If you hate the site, please keep your goddamn mouth shut.


Ok now I'm bored. Maybe I'll weed through a few more 'abouts' on my bookmarks column later and share them with you.
And yes, I do keep my blogs in my bookmarks column. I know there are other things out there and what not, but I guess I just don't really care? Am I missing out here? Should I be allowed to blog if I'm not going to use the blogey tools available to me?? Do they regulate these things, I mean, are there blog police?

No comments:

Post a Comment